- We do NOT accept e-mail submissions.
- You can submit online through Submittable.
- We do not accept previously published work. This includes material that has appeared online in any form or format, including personal blogs.
- We accept simultaneous submissions provided you promptly withdraw your work if it is accepted elsewhere.
- Manuscripts will not be returned. Please include SASE for notification only.
- All work should be in a 12 point-typeface in a standard font (Times New Roman, Calibri, Cambria, Arial). Please include a cover page with title, author, contact information (including an email address).
- We will only consider one submission per author at a time.
- We read submissions from September 1- May 1, with a response time of 4 to 6 months.
- If after 4 months you have not received a response from us, feel free to contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will be happy to check on the status of your submission.
We will consider submissions of 7,500 words or less. Flash fiction and short-shorts are welcome. No novel excerpts, please, unless they can stand alone as short stories. We do not accept gothic, horror or juvenile fiction.
Publication Rights and Payment
After publication in Bayou Magazine, all rights revert to the author. Payment is two contributor’s copies. All work published in Bayou Magazine is considered for Pushcart Prize nominations. All prose is sent annually to Best American Essays and Best American Short Stories for consideration.
Anyone who has been a student at the University of New Orleans in the last 10 years is ineligible to submit.