General Submission Information
- We do not accept e-mail submissions.
- We do not accept previously published work. This includes material that has appeared online in any form, including personal blogs.
- We accept simultaneous submissions provided you promptly withdraw your work if it is accepted elsewhere.
- All work should be in a 12 point standard font. Please include a cover page with title, author, and complete contact information.
- We will only consider one submission per author at a time.
- We read submissions from September 1- May 1, with a response time of 1 to 5 months.
- If after 5 months you have not received a response from us, feel free to contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will be happy to check on the status of your submission.
Update: We are pleased to announce that Bayou Magazine will pay authors for all fiction manuscripts submitted and published after February 1, 2017. Payment for fiction is $50 for published manuscripts of 3000 words or more and $25 for those less than 3000 words.
- submissions of 7,500 words or less, double spaced, 12pt Times New Roman
- flash fiction and short-shorts are welcome, but only 1 piece per submission
- all types of fiction except gothic, horror, and juvenile fiction
If we reject a submission, we ask that you wait 3 months from the date of that rejection before submitting again. More frequent submissions will be declined.
We will consider submissions of 7,500 words or less. We are looking for literary nonfiction, creative personal essays, literary journalism, environmental writing and travel writing. No scholarly articles, please.
We will consider no more than 5 poems at a time.
Submit by Mail:
We greatly prefer submissions via Submittable, but you may mail submissions to:
c/o Submissions Manager
Department of English
University of New Orleans
2000 Lakeshore Drive
New Orleans, LA 70148
Manuscripts will not be returned. Please include SASE for notification only.
Publication Rights and Payment
After publication in Bayou Magazine, all rights revert to the author. Payment is two contributor’s copies unless otherwise specified by genre. All work published in Bayou Magazine is considered for Pushcart Prize nominations. All prose is sent annually to Best American Essays and Best American Short Stories for consideration.
We do not accept submissions from those who are current or former students or faculty of the University of New Orleans.